Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Weekend Fun

Hello Everyone!!!!!
This weekend was very busy for me.  The entire Corps left campus at 6:15am (it was still dark!) and headed to Denver City Park.  We teamed up with the VOC (Volunteer Outdoor Colorado) and 700 other volunteers to make a 5K running path through the park.  The purpose of creating a running path was to get people to use the city park.  It was the job of the corp members  to manage a group of 10 volunteers and help them build 20 feet of the path.  I was looking forward to leading a group until I found out that my team was in charge of handing out water to all the volunteers.  I did not want to be a glorified water-boy, but I have to be flexible and willing to do the job given to me.  I got lucky when a group of volunteers didn't show up and I was put in a group of other corp members and instructed to work on the trail.  
The trail is made up of pressure grinds, a by product produced when crushing large rocks into gravel.  I just think it's glorified dirt.  There were piles of this pressure grinds about every 10-15 feet on the trail and it was the job of the volunteers to evenly spread it out about 3 inches thick then pack it down and then add another layer and pack it down.  After 3-4 layers a top layer was applied raised in the middle in order for the water to drain to the side.  It was simple work, but it was very tiring.  At noon everyone finished working and went to the center of the park for a free lunch and some live music.  The entire path was finished in 4 hours with the help of 700 volunteers.  It was a major project that was organized perfectly.  The mayor spoke and thanked the volunteers after lunch then we all walked the path for the first time afterwards.  It was a great day.
Sunday was supposed to be my day off but I decided it would be a good day to start working on my independent service hours (I have to do 80).  Earlier in the week I worked at the Denver Indian Center and I started a relationship with the owner, Jay.  I arranged for him to open the center on Sunday in order for me and 18 other corp members to do some work around the center.  It was a lot of fun, he gave me a list of 5 tasks that needed to be completed and put me in charge of getting everything done.  I broke up the group into 5 sections and gave each group a task on the list.  I spent the rest of the day going between groups making sure they had no questions and getting them supplies if they needed them.  The list was completed in 4 hours and Jay was very grateful that we helped out.  Afterwards I asked a few of my friends how I was as the leader and they all said I did a wonderful job and didn't think I should of done anything differently.  That was good for me to hear because I am used to working hard not delegating.  It is also good that I have such a good working relationship with Jay because he is a good contact to have in order for me to get some of my ISP hours done in Denver.  I have set up a few opportunities for others to go back this week to work in the after school program.
Ok my internet time is up for tonight.  Take care!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting, Denver Dan!
Keep up the great enthusiasm and work! I'm sure you;ll think differently next you run on such a nice track - what a lot of work!
I'll bet you sleep well at night!

Unknown said...

Don't trip over any dead squirrels, Dan!