Thursday, October 16, 2008

Week 2

Hey Everyone!
First off I want to apologize about the pictures, the Arizona pictures aren't mine and it might be awhile until I can post pictures.  That being said week 2 is well underway, a teammate told me that today was Thursday and I had to check my phone because I didn't believe him.
Sunday I went to the Bronco's vs. Jacksonville game!  It was awesome even though it was raining.  Mile High Stadium is an amazing place (I would know because I was sitting at the top and could see the entire stadium). The atmosphere was great!  A lot of Bronco's cheers and pyrotechnics.  Jacksonville won by a touchdown.
On Monday and Tuesday I had meetings/lectures about safety and tomorrow I have to sit through a CPR and First Aid class even though I am a certified EMT.  The classes are a little dry but I can see their importance.
Yesterday, Wednesday, I got a break from the meetings.  My team went to the Denver Indian Community Center.  It is a meeting place for the various Native American tribes in the area.  It is in an old elementary school then needs a lot of repairs.  The leader or the group is a Navajo named Jay.  He is a great guy and has a lot of ideas to improve the center.  Over the years many toys and beauty products have been donated to the center and they were put in storage in the stage along with old paperwork.  Jay wanted to clear off the stage and donate the toys and other products.  He wants to use the stage for battle of the bands, plays, and other activities that will bring the community together.  My team of 11 people cleared the stage off in 4 hours.  That included over 2,000 boxes of hand cream that were stored above the stage.  I came up with the idea to use an old carpet as a slide in order to transport the boxes to the ground instead of carrying them down one by one.  Earlier in the week Jay had arranged for various nursing homes to come by and pick up the lotion.  He is very good at what he does.  The rest of the day was spend sorting old paperwork and removing paperclips and other things in order for the paper to be shredded.  I am required to do 80 hrs of independent service on top of my regular volunteer work.  This Sunday I am going back to the center to help Jay out with some painting.
I have made a lot of friends so far.  Matt my roommate is from LA and we are the same person except we hale from different coast.  Leeann is from Jersey and she played soccer at Iona College.  We talk a lot about how we miss college athletics.  Nichole is from Michigan, Leah is from Arizona, Monica is from Virginia, Peter is from Georgia, Kate is from Florida, and Mike is from the Bronx.  We are switching teams every 5 days and our group keeps growing.  It is so nice to meet people from all over the country and I get a kick out of making fun of their various accents.  
Ok Dinner is calling my name, it won't be as good as mom's cooking, but it will have to do. Take care and I miss you all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI, Dan!
I'm glad you miss my cooking!
We all miss you, too.
Love,
\ Mom

Unknown said...

Nana says...
She is delighted that all is going well for you!