Friday, October 10, 2008

DENVER!!!!!

Hey Everyone!
I finally got some free time to sit down and update you on what's going on.  
I didn't have any problems flying out here other than the fact that the plane was crowded (every seat was occupied).  There were about 12 people on my flight that were joining Americorps with me so I started making new friends on the tar mat in Boston.  Landing in Denver was amazing!! The view out my left window was of flat farm land and the view out my right window was of the rockies...Two extremes!  I had no problem finding the Americorps leaders and 45 mins later I arrived in Englewood.  That is the town where my campus is located.  
Americorps NCCC central region campus is located at Teikyo Loretta Heights University.  It is a College/ High School for foreign students.  It was once a Catholic Woman's College.  Loretta Heights it the highest point of Denver, about 2 miles high.  I have a spectacular view of the rockies from the dining hall.   
My roommate's name is Matt and he is from LA.  We get along great except for the fact that he is a Chargers fan.  
On arrival day we were put into 1 of 4 units, Fire, Earth, Water, and Sun (I know it sounds like Captain Planet).  I am in the Sun Unit with 59 other people.  Within my unit there are 6 teams.  For the first couple weeks of training the teams change weekly in order for everyone to get to know one another.  I started out in team 6 and made a lot of friends and this morning I was put in group 4.  At the end of training we will be put in our permanent teams for the remainder of our service.  So far everyone is nice.
Day 1 consisted of an introduction to Americorps by the Head of our Campus.  After that we had some team building activities.  My team played 2 truths and a lie.  After that we received our uniforms.  They are comfortable, but I am told it will shrink.  
On Day 2 my unit had driver training.  We watched 2 hours of video's about driving vans and then we each had to take an hour driving test with a unit leader.  I passed with flying colors (Thanks to Charles River, we drove the same vans).  During the training we drove through Denver and into the Rockies.  We ate lunch at a place called Red Rock Theater.  It was beautiful (I hope to post pictures soon). 
On Day 3 my unit had to go over the Member Handbook.  That took 4 hours and was very boring!  Afterwards we went into Denver and had a few hours to walk around and see the sights.  It's weird to be in a city that is organized on a grid system, unlike Boston.  I think I am going back this weekend to spend a day getting aquatinted with the city.
Today, Day 4, my unit had our physicals and drug tests.  I passed both (Don't worry Mom!).  I need to get going to my next meeting, I think its about Residence life...some people don't know how to live in a dorm.  
I hope everyone is well and I will post again soon.  I miss you all very much!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

HI, "Sun",
I'm glad you have all that experience in dorm living...you'll pass that one, too!
It all sounds exciting and we can't wait to see photos.
Thanks for the details.
Has it snowed yet?

Unknown said...

Did I hear right? Are you going to the Denver Bronco game tomorrow?

Mary said...

yay Dan! keep up the good work...and the posts! :-)

mpark5 said...

sounds like you're having an unreal time man. take tons of pictures for me. i'll be sure to hear from you soon. GODSPEED!

Unknown said...

Dan, why are there photos of Arizona in the upper left hand of your blog page? I got a whole slide show from someone else (or maybe I'm doing it wrong?).
Are you skipping out of Denver on us for the long weekend?
...just wondering.