Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New Orleans II

Hey Everyone!
Greetings from New Orleans!  This is my last week and I am going to miss this place. Hopefully I will have the chance to come back here later in the year.  (The majority of Americorps projects are in New Orleans).  
Last weekend I worked and ran in the Mardi Gras Marathon/Half Marathon/5K.  I worked the registration and packet handout and ran the 5K race.  Working at the packet pickup was a lot of fun.  It reminded me of the Boston Marathon.  Everyone was excited for the race very nice.  It was nice to be around runners again.  I ran the 5k on Sunday morning.  My time was 21.30 and I placed 32nd overall.  There were over 2,000 runners.  Not bad for very little training.  That experience has encouraged me to train for a marathon.  That might have to wait until after Americorps.
My team has a new member.  Her name is Shara and she is from New York.  There were issues on her team and she was sent to mine.  Unfortunately, one of my teammates had to go to her team.  Mohua volunteered to go.  It us unfortunate that we all couldn't stay together but that's how life is in AMericorps.  My team will be able to overcome this hurdle.
This is my last weekend in New Orleans and I am going to my first parade.  I'm told there will be a lot of musical floats and I am excited because the music scene down here is excelent. 
Hope all is well at home!  I'll touch base soon from Mississippi.  I will have internet there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Dan! It's great to hear from you!

New Orleans will miss you.

Enjoy your last week there!

Unknown said...

I hear that winter visited New Orleans last night! Was it really 30 degrees?
I hope you kept warm down there.