Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Orleans (2nd Try)

Hello! Sorry it has been so long.  Greetings from New Orleans!!!  A lot has happened since my last posting.  I completed my first spike trip with FEMA and then I was home for the holidays.  It was so nice to see everyone.  After first round my team elected me Alternate Team Leader (ATL), which puts me in more of a leadership position.  My second spike trip is divided into three projects.  Currently I’m in the first phase of the project, which is in New Orleans.

I’m currently staying in an old Victorian in the Garden District.  You can view the house on google maps.  2200 Napoleon Ave.  It is a very big house and very nice.  It is luxurious accommodations for Americorps and my team loves it.  We even have a Knight in out living room.  I have been here for a week and the weather has been beautiful.

I’m working with Green Light New Orleans and so far it has been a wonderful experience.  Green Light is a nonprofit organization and their mission is to convert the lighting in New Orleans from incandescent light bulbs to more energy efficient CFL light bulbs.  Homeowners can sign up for this free program to receive these CFL bulbs.  My team is split up into three groups.  One group of three stays in the office and schedules appointments and manages volunteers.  The other two groups of three drive to different homes and install the new bulbs.  Yes that’s right I screw in light bulbs.  I was a little bummed when I herd the description of my new job, but I must admit after a week I really enjoy it.  As ATL I’m in charge of one of the groups that install the light bulbs.  I love driving around the city and seeing all it has to offer (good and bad) and I have met some wonderful homeowners.  Green Light is a two-man operation and relies solely on the work of volunteers.  Our sponsors are very grateful for our team’s help and they constantly give us information on where to go and what to see.  It is nice having some inside information on this city.  It really has a lot offer; you just got to be careful in some places.  Lucky for me I’m in a very nice part of New Orleans.   I recommend everyone change their light bulbs to CFL lights.  They are a little more expensive but last 5-8 years and will save you thousands of dollars over the life of the bulb, and there is no difference in lighting.  For more information on the organization you can google green light New Orleans. 

            I will be doing this project until February 5th.  After the 5th I’m. headed to Ocean City Mississippi to construct homes for Katrina Victims.   That project will last about a month.  After that I have a three day project in Waveland Mississippi and I don’t have much information on that yet.  I believe I will be leading volunteers in a clean up project. 

I will try to check in soon.  My house doesn’t have Internet, but I’ll figure something out. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're glad all is going well with Americorps in New Orleans, Dan!
Keep up the good work!

I'm sure you are missing our snow and winter weather here in Boston...our driveway misses YOU!

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Hey Dan,
Glad you had a great 5 K run today!

Have fun during your last week in New Orleans.